32,000 take to Hong Kong streets to protest Chinese patriotism classes.
Tens of thousands including teachers and parents pushing strollers took to Hong Kong streets Sunday to protest the upcoming introduction of Chinese patriotism classes they fear will lead to brainwashing, the latest sign of growing discomfort over Beijing’s influence in the semiautonomous territory.
Students and pro-democracy activists were among those who marched to the Hong Kong government’s headquarters to protest the new curriculum, which authorities are encouraging schools to begin using when classes resume in September.
They fear the classes will be used to brainwash children into supporting China’s Communist Party. The government has denied that and says they are aimed at building Chinese national pride.
The controversy flared up after reports emerged that pro-Beijing groups published a booklet for use in classes that extolled the virtues of one-party rule.
“China wants Hong Kong’s next generation to know how great it is and not know the bad stuff,” said Chan Yip-Long, a 9-year-old primary school student. “The booklet is very biased, so I am opposing it.”
China wants Hong Kong’s next generation to know how great it is and not know the bad stuff.
The protest is the latest sign of growing discontent in Hong Kong over mainland China’s increasing influence 15 years after the freewheeling financial centre was returned to China by Britain following more than a century of colonial rule. Tensions have also been stoked by growing economic inequality and as well as an influx of free-spending wealthy Chinese, who are seen as driving up property prices and shop rents.
- alert1 likes this
- morbid-libido likes this
- imthebrainwasher likes this
- pokeybank likes this
- five-am-secrets likes this
- all-you-need-is-lsd reblogged this from thearticlemonkeys
- chamaedorea reblogged this from shackledfreedom
- shackledfreedom reblogged this from controlledweirdness
- fakdasystem reblogged this from mymanatee
- fakdasystem likes this
- takkeb likes this
- i-e-a likes this
- ilivebetweenjohnsthighs reblogged this from your-last-lullaby
- glittabomb likes this
- little-momo-27 reblogged this from spacealian
- casey-luckett reblogged this from xdark-sidex
- spacealian reblogged this from xdark-sidex
- pichaelmalin reblogged this from xdark-sidex
- xdark-sidex reblogged this from thearticlemonkeys
- your-last-lullaby reblogged this from thearticlemonkeys
- thearticlemonkeys reblogged this from ladyclockworko1
- hellokikei reblogged this from saidthepun and added:
- california-zeppelin likes this
- crazywaysareevident likes this
- land-of-the-groovy reblogged this from controlledweirdness
- inanageofemptyrings reblogged this from controlledweirdness
- ladyclockworko1 reblogged this from please-please-me-jimmy
- ladyclockworko1 likes this
- aleesina likes this
- b1isss likes this
- please-please-me-jimmy reblogged this from controlledweirdness
- onemore-cupofcoffee reblogged this from controlledweirdness
- the-real-albino reblogged this from controlledweirdness
- heisenperv likes this
- an-e-harmonica-anybody likes this
- spacejam2005 reblogged this from controlledweirdness
- ihugmoons reblogged this from controlledweirdness
- ihugmoons likes this
- goforthandthrash reblogged this from controlledweirdness
- controlledweirdness likes this
- saidthepun likes this
- wifeofwrath likes this
- libitinasinister reblogged this from tequilaismyladyyy
- teaiscosy likes this
- tequilaismyladyyy reblogged this from agooddaytowhy
- tequilaismyladyyy likes this
- watchthemwatchme likes this
- diosaodiosa likes this
- delasaul likes this
- gabrieldunn reblogged this from basedinternet